Let’s look at time as a Bank Balance. If time were $86,400 each day, how easy would it be to spend each day? How would you spend your allocation each day? With money you can buy a clock, not time.
Be mindful how you invest your Resource Bank of Time each day. From my experience working with clients and speaking with people in general, I find that most people tend to take more care and get the support they need in allocating and wisely investing their money than their time.
”I don’t have time” or “I’m too busy”
Who’s ever said that? Or heard people around you say that?
We progress through life from birth:
- When at school or university – learning, time with friends, playing sport, hobbies and interests, having fun.
- You get a job – a little more demanding and structured, more time required.
- A partner – wanting to spend quality time together, have fun, get to know each other.
- You go for a promotion – greater responsibility, more time required.
- You might want a family, your own children – added responsibility, more time required.
Who’s getting that picture? Who can relate to that? As life progresses, we seem to get ”busy-er”.
We live to our environment. An example would be a fish growing to the pond, bowl or tank in which it lives. If we were given more time, we would spend it doing something, we’d get ”busy-er”. Some people are ”busy being busy”. Running around here, running around there, doing this, doing that. There seems to be a flurry of activity and a lot of rushing. Ask yourself though, are you busy or are you productive? Be mindful of whether you’re productive achieving results and producing outcomes, rather than just being ”busy”.
Here’s some interesting information that you may, or may not, be aware of:
- More than 70% of Australians don’t like their job.
- Around 65% of Australians are out of shape and overweight.
- Dis-ease has increased.
Thinking about technology…. who has a PC, Laptop, iPad, Mobile, iPhone, Smart Phone, Blackberry? What did you do before this technology? Do you even remember? Technology was designed to make our lives more time efficient. Instead, we seem busier. We’re able to get in touch anytime, anywhere. Greater demands, greater expectations. Pressure to do more with less. Ask your children, families, partners. What’s the greatest gift you can give? Most, especially children, will say TIME!
If your life isn’t balanced, it’s unbalanced. When your life is unbalanced, there is less harmony. This leads to dis-ease …. and one of the biggest dis-eases is STRESS! When your life is rolling along smoothly and it feels balanced – you’re in your flow, it’s easy, you feel invincible, no matter what life throws at you. When your life is unbalanced and shaky – you’re likely to fall over , it may be a bumpy ride and you might fall off, be hurt or someone else may be be hurt, it may feel pretty scary. It may show up in different ways, possibly a feeling of overwhelm, not having enough time, mentally scattered and being unable to focus, irritation at the smallest trivial things, a headache, knot in your stomach, anxiety attack, impatience, insomnia, or switching off, a zombie-like numbness or emotional paralysis.
We all have the same amount of time each day to use as we choose. How we allocate and prioritise our time is critical. Examples of what I say to myself and a few simple strategies that help me stay on track are:
- I have all the time I need (instead of “I don't have time”)
- I am an excellent time manager
- I am well organized
- I love what I do, I do what I love
- I can achieve what I set my mind to
- I am productive and achieve positive outcomes and results (instead of “I’m too busy”)
- The mind is extremely powerful. Replace negative thoughts and beliefs by creating new positive, supporting, productive and inspiring thoughts and beliefs.
- Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least.
- What support, information, knowledge and skills do I need?
- Have a Plan or an Action, To Do or Check list each day.
- Know where you are, where you want to be and have a plan to get there.
- Block out a 1 hour allocation (total throughout the day) that is time for me, ie. I make an appointment with myself. :-)
- I find that 'chunking' my time in blocks is more effective.
- I'm a strong visual, so I use a whiteboard and colour markers, so I can see what I'm working on and what's coming up at any given time. :-)
I’d be curious to know …. what are some of your tips, tools, strategies and affirmations that work well for you and keep you focused and on track?
I believe we all are jugglers and artists, in the sense of balancing the different components of our life, the colours we paint our life with, what’s important to us and how we fit in all that we want to.
I appreciate that life happens! At times our priorities, commitments, responsibilities and choices change and we need to be flexible, adaptable and go with the flow.
Going forward …. believe, know, sense and get a feel in your entire being that you are an amazing time manager! Invest your Resource Bank of Time wisely, know you do the best you can with what you have each day, and have fun along your journey, living a life you love! :-)
Karen Low is the owner of Coach Me Now! To learn more, please contact Karen on 0409 343 336.
Follow us on Facebook for inspirational quotes and links, events, workshops, networking opportunities and resources.